Sunday, February 3, 2013

Callie

This latest painting is for Russ and Cheryl, my brother/sister-in-law.  This is their youngest dog, Callie, a Golden Retriever.  I meant to photograph my painting process but only managed to get one photo before completing it.  It was so fun and went somewhat quickly that it was done before I remembered I was planning more photos.  Originally I had left the exterior of the ears and fur white with the intent to put in a dark background but I just kept painting. :)  I might try it again following my original plan.  I did run into my usual problem when trying to paint "loose", that is that I am still timid with the amount of pigment I set down.  I did have to work this piece a little more than I had wanted to because I had to darken areas.  I need to work on being bolder with my color and frugal with my brushstrokes.  All in all, I am pleased with the results.



"CALLIE"
10" x 14"
Watercolor, Kilimajaro Cold-Press



2 comments:

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

I love the looseness of this guy. He looks like a lovely dog and you had a fun time painting him. I had to check out your work as us Wendy's have look out for each other. I really enjoyed my visit.

Leslie Lambert Redhead said...

Wendy, I love the colors you've used in this! The looseness of your strokes are especially nice. It has such wonderful energy.