Friday, June 26, 2009

Portrait of Lindsay with Swim Cap


For lack of a better name, here is my portrait of Lindsay with Swim Cap. I've always wanted to be able to paint portraits in watercolor but I find it very intimidating trying to capture a likeness as well as getting the skin tone right. Those same concerns stopped me in my tracks with this project after I laid down the initial wash of color. It took the encouragement of a couple of painting pals to get me going again. Once I finally got over the fear of messing it up, I took off and completed almost all of the painting in one day. I'm pretty happy with it since it is a new thing for me but I'm not sure I quite captured her sweet face. The eyes gave me quite a bit of trouble. I feel happy to have completed it (although I might tweek the bottom a bit after I stare at it for a while), and I'm excited to start my next painting.

4 comments:

janice said...

It's just darling! The painting captures the innocence of younger Lindsay and her quirky personality perfectly!

Sheila Estep said...

It looks so like her! it's adorable and you did a great job with all the colors and values. It's a fun piece.

Krista Hasson said...

Wendy, how nice to see you have a blog! As i have already stated this is fantastic!

Have a great weekend,
Krista

Pixel Pattie said...

This looks great! You did a lot more work on it. I can totally tell it is her and I didn't know her at that age. The shadows look great! I'd be tempted to do a little more on the hands, mostly left one, but you know me, I always overdo it!